Wednesday, November 26, 2008

obituaries


Richey James Edwards, who was pronounced dead yesterday after missing for 13 years wasn't a great musician. But he was one hell of a lyricist. I remember taking a shine to Manic Street Preachers' music back when I was 15 or 16. But then I didn't know that the band has long since changed. It was about a year or two after that, after I bought their second album The Holy Bible in Milan that I learn who Richey Edwards was. His opus magnum, I was shocked the first time I listened to it. Here is a kind of music that's far away from the melodic britpop songs that the Manics dish now. This is pure, naked emotion. Raw rage. Real pain. You felt the despair, the loneliness. The Holy Bible remains one of my favorite album to hear when I'm feeling angry and frustrated. It also marked the first time I realized that you could be political musically too. Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart isn't the best title for a song. But the song itself, it was pure verbal diarrhea about, well, the failings and crimes of white america. Revol crammed political figures in my head for the first time in my life in a context i never realized exist. Faster actually quotes some lines from 1984, for which I am eternally thankful, since without the song I would never have read it. All in all, I guess The Holy Bible is the album that woke me up to the reality that is this world. You'll be missed even more, Richey.
Mitch Mitchell, the drummer best known for his work with The Jimi Hendrix Experience has left us as well. On the 12th November he made his way to the drum stool of one of Hendrix's heavenly jam session. Peace out, Mitch. Thanks for the ride.

No comments:

Blog Archive